Compensation for nationalised properties / Laws entitling to compensation / Compensation procedures / How we can help you
Compensation for nationalised properties
For all the properties wrongfully taken over by the Romanian state between 1945 and 1989 which could not be returned in kind to the former owners, the Romanian state adopted a series of normative acts establishing the mechanisms for compensating the former owners.
In general, compensation consists of points where each point is worth 1 leu.
The points can be used for the purchase of real estate through the public auction process of the private property of the Romanian State and/or of the administrative territorial units or, where appropriate, can be converted into money under the law.
For more details on nationalised properties, please visit the Return of nationalised properties section.
Compensation is determined by the public authorities/institutions with competence in the field (e.g. National Authority for Property Restitution, Central Commission for Compensation, National Commission for Compensation of Property, Prefect’s Office, courts, etc.).
Laws entitling to compensation
Compensation is granted, in principle, on the basis of the following legal acts:
- Law no. 18/1991;
- Law No 1/2000;
- Law No 10/2001;
- Law No 247/2005;
- Law No 165/2013;
- Law No 290/2003;
- Law No 164/2014.
Procedures for awarding compensation
The procedures for granting compensation are carried out by the National Authority for Property Restitution ( A.N.R.P. ) in collaboration with the National Commission for Property Compensation ( C.N.C.I. ) and the Ministry of Public Finance ( M.F.P. ).
In general the procedure is as follows:
- verification of the retrocession file and of the legality of the decision/decision proposing the award of compensation in the form of points;
- supplementing the file with documents and/or information on the legal status of the property at the time of the wrongful taking;
- determining the value of the property according to the notarial scale and the category of use of the property;
- issuing a decision on the award of compensation in the form of points.
How we can help you
Our lawyers can provide you with services aimed at obtaining and collecting the compensation you are entitled to:
- determining the regulatory act under which you can claim compensation;
- advice on the completion of the file on the recovery of compensation;
- legal assistance and representation before public authorities and institutions with competences in the field;
- legal assistance and representation before the courts;
- enforcement of enforceable titles obtained;
- assistance with the actual collection of compensation.
More info about ANRP compensation